Gluten Free Baking 101 - A Series Of Helpful Tips to Success


At many of the classes I teach, people ask for a gluten free baking class. I'll admit, I do bake some gluten free items which are very good. I have been learning along the way of cooking gluten free - Who wouldn't? It's another realm of learning everything anew for most of us who weren't cooking from scratch to begin with. I remember the first gluten free pound cake I tried to make for my daughter. That thing cost me $120 in the end and 3 tries before it was merely edible. I was determined to make it work though.

Now that the gluten free revolution has happened, it is much easier to find a company to order delectable varieties of the foods we loved before going gluten free. You may have to suffer the occasional heartbreak or disappointment at someone's unworthy review of a gluten free product which costs you an arm and a leg in shipping - But the options are now out there, which is a good thing.

Me? Well, I am still stubborn and think that I can tackle whatever gluten free challenges are put before me with the endurance and never ending stubborness of a mule! My husband, bless his heart, knows how I get and just leaves the kitchen for me to work out the complexities of a recipe until I am satisfied - Or never satisifed, as the case may well be. Like dinner rolls, they are my gluten free nightmare. I haven't turned one out in 2 years I would call edible. Oh well, you can't win them all.

The common problems that most new gluten free bakers make are the same as when you were new to baking gluten items. You have to understand all those little details all over again with properties that can and do react totally different than they did before. As boring and drudgerous as it may sound, you have to look at the way the ingredients work and maximize their individual potential. Sound like you'll have to go to culinary school? Not exactly, but you might want to consider taking a few introductory gluten free baking classes if you are able to find any in your area.

Lastly, if you have the perserverance to keep at it, you will get better and better at tackling your own gluten free baking. It just takes practice. The practice can be more costly than the shipping I was telling you about but I feel that it has made me a better cook all the way around. So, I look at that money as an investment into a lifetime of learning how to cook gluten free and not have to settle for less than best in taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment